Sunday, September 18, 2011

On being sad

I’ve been reading Fyodor Dostoevsky’s ‘The Brother Karamazov’, and having read a few others of his works I came to question the moods often associated with depression. You see, in his books I’ve always found a character that is just simply a miserable man, a man that is also spiteful despite the fact he is also often the protagonist.

“I am a spiteful man”, one story begins. Here we meet a man that is sad, miserable, unhappy. He wants for nothing because he has already accepted he is a miserable man. He has a job, he knows people, he does ‘things’. He’s not an outcast or necessarily a strange man. In fact there are probably a lot of people who feel just like him. He was sad, yes. But why? I always wondered why, but I now am starting to realise ‘how could he not be?’ I think the answer to this question lies not in looking at what he had (a job, friends, etc.), but what he didn’t have. Where was his purpose? Where was his passion? Where was his love? Where was his self-pride and self-efficacy? And who if not himself could he blame for lacking these things? You have to hate the man who deprives you of these things – and so comes the self-loathing.

In one of my most recent episodes of “depressive” thoughts I was asked why did I not seek adequate treatment once and for all. And pondering this question, I had to remember the spiteful man of Dostoevsky’s stories. Why was his misery untreatable? Because it was a matter of the human condition, not of an illness, per se. (Note, I am not making a general statement about the existence of the illness we call depression, but rather about a personal reflection based on my own experience.) And so what is a man like Dostoevsky’s protagonist to seek treatment for? “Depression”? Or the fact that so many aspects of his life are not yet in place? I remember a quote from ‘The Manual of The Warrior of Light’ by Paulo Coelho: “By now, millions of people will have given up. They don't get angry, they don't weep, they don't do anything; they merely wait for time to pass. They have lost the ability to react. You, however, are sad. That proves that your soul is still alive”. Sometimes I think a bigger sin than being sad is to not be sad at lacking that which enriches life: love, company, passion, freedom, activity, purpose, peace…

Why am I sad? Because I have a mental illness, or because my life is not yet like it should be? Don’t get me wrong, I have many things in my Iife I am very grateful for and I have had many achievements… But instead of telling you what I am lacking, let me tell you of what I am now achieving, how I am “curing” my state. I have found the love of my life and I am planning a family with children. I work a job that I don’t hate. My passion is writing, even this humble blog. And I have finally stopped being afraid of being judged for being myself. I am learning resilience, building my self-efficacy, and I take the responsibility for my own emotions. What I still lack IS worthy of my dissatisfaction. But what I have is worthy of so much joy.

-I used to think I was cyclothymic. Turns out I may just be human.

3 comments:

  1. What if the love of your life turned out to not actually be the love of your life and one day that ended? how do you think you would feel then?

    Just a random thought.. As you know thats how i got 'depressed' even though I hate to class my self as depressed back then, I more felt pissed of, let down and just genuinely to lazy to pick my self up and say to myself HEY stop this and get over it.. But hey try loving some one with aspergers, I think I should write a book on it!

    I could ramble on a bit more but I have to go shopping lol
    xo
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy, thanks for reading.
    It's interesting that you say you weren't depressed at the time of your break-up. Do you know what happens to people when someone breaks up with them? I mean "normal" people, I mean people without a mental illness, I mean just anyone. What happens when relationships end? They get sad. And that's ok! That's the normal human response! That's not depression at all. Depression is a condition where you are unable to experience pleasure or sadness or any other of the whole spectrum of human emotion. This type of "sadness" permeates every aspect of your life. It affects your appetite, your sleep, your concentration, your ability to think of the future. It is something that affects your interpersonal relationships, your social life, your work life... It's ok to be be human and experience proportionate emotion to an event. Depression is very different. Were you depressed? I don't know. Was it ok to be sad at a relationship breaking up? Yes!


    And you ask what would happen if my relationship one day ended? What would I feel? Sad. Well, that would be natural for anyone. But I think you meant to ask would I be melancholy and dissatisfied with my life again? Well, I hope I'd be dissatisfied enough to be motivated to change my situation. And, to address more what I think you mean, it is my responsibility to ensure that my life's satisfaction does not rely only on an external source, whether that be money, a job, or the person you are in love with. I think that is the mistake so many of us make. Hence my comment on learning resilience, building self-efficacy, and taking responsibility on one's own emotions. It would be sad to lose the love of your life. It would be an absolute tragedy to lose with it all your passion, your self-esteem, your identity, your self-respect, your purpose and will to live. So yes, it is good to be happy to have a love. But no, it is bad to make them the only reason you are no longer depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are spot on you should be a psychologist lol
    Although I think I wasnt 'depressed' but I was a little bit more sad then normal as it seemed to drag on and yes it was hard to think, i didnt want to think ect ect.

    ReplyDelete