Sunday, August 12, 2012

On saying the right thing


Just a very quick blog today on things I’ve realised over the years about what to say in certain situations. The times I’m talking about are when someone is crying or sad; when someone is mourning; when someone is in trouble and worried; and pretty much any other time you’ve thought “I don’t know what to say”. The problem is that though we think there is a ‘right’ thing to say, the real answer is that these are the times when we don’t need to say anything at all. The only thing you need to be doing when you find yourself in a situation where you don’t know what to say is to not say anything at all and just listen. Yes, really listen. Pay attention, become interested, and if you must say anything, then say that which you feel, “I don’t know what to say”.

1 comment:

  1. I have had a lot of this lately.
    But you know, I thought by now in this job that I'd be better at knowing what to say than not :(

    ReplyDelete