Sunday, June 26, 2011

On friendship / giving and receiving

You know what is a good friend? A friend that is always giving (of their time, attention, efforts, etc). You know what is a bad friend? One who always seems to be taking and taking and never giving anything (usually material things) in return. What do you call a person who sometimes gives, but just doesn’t seem to take anything at all from you? I don’t know, but they’re not usually called a friend. 

I used to wonder some time ago why I was never the kind of friend my ‘friends’ called on to help get them out of a tight spot, to lend them money, or just to vent  when everything crashed to pieces. Often I would hear through other mutual friends about how their relationships had broken up, they had won an award, or they’d been in a minor car accident, etc. I was often left with this little numb wondering of ‘why didn’t they tell me?’ or ‘why didn’t they call me?’ And I would feel a little rejected and sad to have been left out of a kind of major life event. I would recede into myself and wonder: 'am I such a bad person that they wouldn’t think to tell me?, to ask for my help?; or do they not like me?, am I considered of no use?' As you can see, I was aiming these comments toward myself mostly rather than the other person. And as I thought about these things, I began to distance myself from these ‘friends’ of mine. I questioned our whole relationship, and the feeling of rejection did not do my self-esteem any good.

Still, I could never figure out why I was never the friend people sought for when people I considered friends needed “a friend”. Until one day I figured it out: I never called any of my alleged friends when things, semi-major events, happened in my life. I either receded into myself and put up the fight (or celebration) on my own, or I spoke only to my mother about it. It wasn’t that I didn’t find my friends worthy of the knowledge or of sharing my victories or defeats, it was more to do with pride, I guess. "You want to have nothing in life that you’re proud of? Let yourself be guided by your pride." Pride is like a fear of falling, so it stops you from reaching too high. Healthy pride, good pride, is probably better called gratitude and self-efficacy. Good pride is an after-the-fact quality; that’s not what I’m talking about. I mean more the pride/fear to be seen as vulnerable, as needing, as wanting, as human. One day I read that to have good friends, you have to be a good friend. I always thought I was a good friend, willing to give to others when they were in need, listening when they needed to be heard, sharing some advice, looking out for their wellbeing, etc. But my friends were never there when I needed something not because they were bad people, but because I was too proud to let them in.

There’s a bible verse that says that there is more happiness in giving than in receiving. Sure, but we all know that there is also something very pleasant in receiving!  That’s right, there is happiness in both. And what any good relationship, any friendship or partnership, needs is both giving and receiving. Sometimes we give our friends a present, something to cheer them up or make them feel good. We feel good in return, right? A happy friend means a happy me, means a healthy relationship. But how about sometime letting our friend also share in the happiness of giving, allowing them give us a gift, being grateful for their effort, validating their efforts and gesture of camaraderie? Of course, I am not talking just about material gifts. I mean allowing ourselves to be human, to admit our need and desire of friendship, of companionship, of another human being to share our load and cheers with. Trust me, if you know anything about human pride, this is actually very hard! We become proud, stern, often as a result of being hurt in the past, or disappointed. We want to convince ourselves and others that we can’t be hurt again. We want to block out the bad – and we end up blocking out the good too. We punish ourselves and others by creating a wall of perceived invincibility. But it’s actually easier to be invincible if you have an army of comrades rather than take the world on by yourself.

So what more can I say to encourage you to be a little more vulnerable, a slightly better friend? You are human, don’t be scared to be mistaken for one. And there’s a paradoxical rule with love: it’s the only known substance that the more of it you give away, the more you end up having.

No comments:

Post a Comment